There is no official AliExpress dropshipping program. However, there are tons of dropshippers that source their products from AliExpress for good reason. AliExpress has millions of products (most have free shipping), there are no registration fees or other requirements, and there are no limits on your profit margins.
So why use AliExpress for your dropshipping business? I will share some reasons why as well as how to get your first store up without any worry about recurring software fees.
- 1 The Dropshipping Model
- 2 How to Open Your First AliExpress Dropshipping Business
- 3 Things to Keep in Mind About Running an AliExpress Dropshipping Business
- 4 In Conclusion
The Dropshipping Model
The dropship model has made it easy for anyone to get started with their own eCommerce business. It is one of the lowest cost online businesses that you can start.
You do not have to buy any products for your store until the customer orders them. You add products to your store that are provided by your dropshipping suppliers (in our case, AliExpress.com).
When a customer orders a product from your store, you pay for the item from AliExpress, pass along the customer’s shipping details, and the item will ship from AliExpress directly to your customer.
Your profit is the difference in price between what you charged your customer and what the item cost on AliExpress.
Some other benefits of sourcing products from AliExpress include:
- 200,000 exporters
- Over 100 million items
- No entry or participation fees
- No limits on your profit margins
- No limits on the amount of products you sell
- Works with individuals and registered companies
- Free shipping on most items
- Ships to over 200 countries worldwide
- Online shipping tracking
- Wide range of shipping methods
- Buyer protection system with full money back guarantee
Whatever niche you want to be in, AliExpress likely has products to sell in your store.
How to Open Your First AliExpress Dropshipping Business
Dropshipping has been in use for many years but it has become quite popular as many people have opened stores sourcing products from AliExpress.
One of the most popular eCommerce platforms that has really brought AliExpress dropshipping out into the limelight is Shopify.
I tried out Shopify for dropshipping with AliExpress using their 14-day free trial. While I like the service, I still wanted a WordPress solution for two main reasons:
I Wanted to Save On Monthly Fees
- WordPess is free to download and install. That would save me on recurring monthly software fees.
- The AliDropship plugin (AliExpress dropshipping plugin for WordPress) is the plugin that I use and recommend for dropshipping. There is only a one-time fee and lifelong updates and customer support. Therefore, I do not have to pay monthly software fees as you would by using a service like Shopify.
I Wanted Full Ownership of My Store
- When you use a SaaS eCommerce service that charges a monthly fee, you must agree by their terms of service. That means the service has the authority to close down your account at any time for any reason. This is not an issue when using WordPress.
Things to Keep in Mind About Running an AliExpress Dropshipping Business
Pay Attention to Shipping Times – Utilize ePacket Shipping
- A majority of the merchants on AliExpress are based in China. However, thanks to ePacket shipping, shipping times are much shorter. A majority of merchants do offer ePacket shipping on their products. There are also merchants that ship from the United States as well.
Customer Service is Still Required
- You are running an online retail business so that means you will be handling customer service issues such as returns, refunds, and the occasional customer complaint. Always offer excellent customer service to help keep your customers happy.
You Will Develop Marketing Skills
- Your store won’t make any sales unless you promote the products in your store. That will mean posting on social media channels as well as using paid advertising. The most popular advertising platforms that dropshippers use include Facebook and Instagram ads.
Consider Starting a Blog
- Blogging is a great way to drive free targeted traffic to your store. Most dropshipping eCommerce platforms have blogs built in. AliDropship runs on WordPress and has blogging capability built in.
While there isn’t an official AliExpress dropshipping program in existence, you can probably understand why AliExpress is a popular resource for many dropshippers.
You can develop your own dropshipping store or have a custom store built for you. Not all custom dropshipping store services are alike. I wrote a post about what to beware of when ordering a custom store.
If you’re ready to get started, I do recommend checking into the AliDropship software. You can use the plugin and build your store yourself or take advantage of their custom dropshipping store feature.