I first came across the term “dropsurfing” when I saw an ad on Facebook. However, when I do a search for what this term means, I have only found a couple of answers. Therefore, I wanted to tackle the question of dropsurfing vs dropshipping for anyone else that is curious. So far, I feel it is simply another term for referring to a dropshipping business.
No, dropsurfing has nothing to do with actual surfers riding ocean waves. Nor does it have to do with creating a dropshipping store that sells surfing gear. As far as I can tell it is a term that was made popular by a dropshipper selling a dropshipping course.
What is Drop Surfing VS Drop Shipping?
As mentioned above, I first heard of the term drop surfing when I came across an ad while scrolling my Facebook page.
Since I am always on the lookout for different types of online business models, I clicked and was led to sign up for a webinar.
My attention span for webinars is short. It is because most of them are the same and in the end, it is all about pitching a product, which I understand because it is internet marketing.
I remember feeling that way about the drop surfing webinar. I didn’t really take away much from it. I still wasn’t sure what exactly dropsurfing was but I admit, it’s mostly my fault for not paying a whole lot of attention.
However, after doing a quick Google search, I still have come up empty handed for a definition.
So far, all that I found was a Quora answer which states:
Drop surfing is a different way of drop shipping from multiple vendors in order to get the best price and shipping price. Certain products are less expensive with specific drop shippers than others. Building or utilizing a platform to scan multiple vendors for the best options is a part of the theory of drop surfing as opposed to the classic model with a single drop shipper.
Another answer posted on the same Quora thread reads:
I think you’re referring to a drop ship guru promoting his course on Youtube and Instagram. It’s just a term to refer to drop shipping businesses that gives you the time and freedom to work when you like.
I suppose both answers are legitimate. Of course, as a dropshipper you always want to find the lowest cost items with low shipping prices.
Maybe there is software that takes care of that for you, thus the dropsurfing term. I’m guessing the dropship guru that made this term popular also has software that dropsurfs for you.
AliExpress – Dropshipping Suppliers with Low Prices and Free Shipping
If you are seeking a dropshipping supplier that offers both low pricing and free shipping, then AliExpress.com is one of those suppliers.
AliExpress is a large online retailer whose merchants are primarily based in China. However, there are many items that are also shipped within the United States.
They offer millions of products. Many of the products on the website have very low prices and often include free shipping.
That is part of the reason why so many dropshippers use AliExpress as their dropshipping supplier of choice.
Other perks of using AliExpress include:
- 200,000 exporters
- Over 100 million items
- No entry or participation fees
- No limits on your profit margins
- No limits on the amount of products you sell
- Works with individuals and registered companies
- Free shipping on most items
- Ships to over 200 countries worldwide
- Online shipping tracking
- Wide range of shipping methods
- Buyer protection system with full money back guarantee
The biggest perk of using AliExpress is that your profit margins are huge. You can double or triple your price for an item and it is still a great deal for many buyers.
Common Questions About Using AliExpress as a Dropshipping Supplier
Here are some common questions that I have come across in my own research about why anyone would choose to use AliExpress as a dropshipping resource.
Why would anyone buy from my store instead of going directly to AliExpress?
- This is a legit question and one that comes up a lot. You have to take into account that dropshipping involves being able to put your products in front of potential customers. There are many online retailers that sell the same products. The key is that they advertise to their target market and you will have to do the same using paid ads, social media channels, and more. There is room for everyone so don’t feel that your store couldn’t have success.
Won’t customers become annoyed by the shipping time from China?
- I wondered this very same thing and the answer is no. Shipping times from China can be long on products that do not offer ePacket shipping. ePacket shipping is a faster shipping method from China. Most items do have ePacket. Also, keep in mind that many successful dropshippers sell impulse items. Meaning, they are not items that people cannot do without. They are impulse buys which often means they are novelty. It is also essential that you make it clear on your shipping page and product pages that items are shipped from China.
Which dropshipping platform should I use to build my store?
- I have written about and researched many dropshipping platforms that work with AliExpress. However, the two most popular platforms being used include Shopify and WordPress. In order to use either platform as a dropshipping store, you would need to install a dropshipping app such as Oberlo on Shopify or a dropshipping plugin for WordPress such as AliDropship. I have gone into detail about the differences between AliDropship versus Shopify.
What About Other Dropshipping Suppliers?
There are plenty of wholesalers out there that will also dropship their products for you. You can do your own search. However, it is often very time-consuming.
Things to keep in mind when doing your own research include:
- Are their registration fees?
- Are their fees when products are sold and shipped?
- Do you get a percentage of the sale or a discount?
- Are there any limitations on the items that can be sold? (brand names, jewelry, etc.)
I have dealt with a wholesaler that also dropshipped and they limited the items that could be dropshipped.
Having options in terms of suppliers is helpful. What one supplier lacks, another may make up for it. The key is having dropshipping software that can organize all of those elements for you.
So is Dropsurfing a Thing?
I suppose so. I would think that there is software out there that drop surfs. I do feel it is another catch phrase for dropshipping.
Possibly a way to grab the attention of those interested in dropshipping. I don’t think you’re missing out on any huge trend by any means.
Dropshipping has been around for years and will likely remain a solid online business model for many years to come.
Start a Free WooCommerce Dropshipping Store
You likely have a strong interest in dropshipping. I’ve created a blog post that shows you step-by-step how to open a dropshipping store using free software to include:
- DropshipMe (dropshipping plugin)
Your only expenses would be web hosting and advertising. I recommend an Optimized WordPress Plan from HostPapa (they give you a free domain name and auto-install WordPress.)
If you are still seeking more information on dropsurfing vs dropshipping and come across information that I haven’t, please leave your feedback in the comments below.
Otherwise, I wish you much success in your online business endeavors!