Before you quit your job and start a blog, I highly recommend that you start a blog for money first, generate a consistent income online, and then kiss that 9-to-5 goodbye. That is exactly what I did and it was one of the best things I could have done.
I will explain my process, some of my mistakes, as well as my successes in order to help you achieve your own goal of starting a blog for profit in order to work for yourself.
Before we get started, I do invite you to grab a free copy of the guide I created for how to create a consistent income online.
Why Start a Blog for Money?
I could probably list a variety of reasons why I’d recommend anyone to start a blog for money. However, I believe the biggest reason anyone would want to do this is so that they can achieve time freedom.
How awesome would it be to have complete control over your time? No clocking in or out. No commuting in rush hour traffic. No asking for time off to take a vacation.
When you have time freedom, you can spend your time doing the things that matter to you. Whether that is spending more time with your family or accomplishing all of the things on your bucket list, you have those options when you control your time.
First Step: What Do You Want to Start a Blog About?
This first step is also referred to as selecting a niche. A niche is simply a group of people who are interested in the same thing. Niches are everywhere.
Regardless of the niche that you choose, there is money to be made. There are billions of people online and you only need a small percentage of them to be interested in your niche in order to make money.
When choosing a niche, I always recommend picking one that you have a genuine interest in. The reason is that you will have to create a lot of content on this topic.
If you don’t like the niche that you choose, you will burn out quickly. Your interest will fade and you’ll likely abandon your blog.
The easiest way to choose a niche is to fill in the blank below:
I want to help people __________________.
Whatever niche you choose, you have to go in with the mindset of helping people. If you don’t serve your niche, it will be difficult to earn any money with your blog.
Get Your Blog Up and Running – Don’t Worry, It’s Really Easy
Starting a blog is easier today than it has ever been. I choose WordPress for all of my blogs for good reasons. First off, it is the most widely used blogging software which means it is well supported.
Another reason is that I retain full ownership of my content. I recommend avoiding free website services as they are limiting and charge a monthly fee for added features.
Besides that, these services can close your account without notice flushing all of your hard work down the drain.
WordPress is free to download and install with a web hosting provider of your choice. Most commercial web hosting providers do offer one-click WordPress installation.
However, I recommend choosing an Optimized WordPress Hosting Plan from HostPapa. They are one of the best web hosting providers for beginners.
They provide 24/7 support, have an extensive knowledge base, and offer a free 30-minute one-on-one training session for new customers.
I set up one of my own niche blogs using their WP Business plan. After ordering, I received a welcome email informing me that WordPress was auto-installed on my domain. It was so fast, easy, and convenient.
Some of My Blogging Mistakes
I have been blogging for years. Yet, I didn’t earn a consistent income until now. I made a lot of mistakes in the past that I’ve learned from. Here are some that you can avoid:
Being Too Broad
- I used to run a fitness blog that received a good amount of web traffic. However, I had the most difficult time trying to earn income with it. My content was all over the place and lacked focus. When people visited my blog, they wouldn’t stick around. I was writing just to put up a post and didn’t care about serving a particular audience.
Following Bad Information
- In the past, I wanted to get as much free web traffic as I could and as fast as I could. Years ago, it was easy to rank well by using shady tactics. For example, I would follow certain bloggers that recommending things like creating hundreds of fake forum profiles simply for a backlink. All of those tactics caught up with me and my blog was penalized dropping my traffic to almost nothing.
Writing Thin Content
- Years ago, I’d spend no more than half an hour writing a blog post. A typical blog post of mine would be about 4 or 5 paragraphs. They wouldn’t be helpful posts at all. You can’t do that today. The search engines want to provide the most relevant and helpful content they can. Short blog posts won’t cut it.
My Blogging Success Tips
Overall, blogging is low maintenance. A bulk of your time will be in creating helpful content for your niche. Once I took blogging seriously, I was finally able to generate a consistent income online. Here are some of my blogging success tips:
- Help people – write helpful content for your niche
- Create longer content
- Write often (my goal is 2 to 3 times per week)
- Be patient – blogging is a slow process but it pays off
- Don’t quit! Seriously!
The Best Way to Make Money with a Blog
You can monetize your blog in several ways but my favorite way and definitely one of the most recommended methods is to promote affiliate products.
This is what is referred to as affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing is the promotion of another company’s products and/or services in exchange for a commission when a sale is made.
I recommend products that I use and that I know will benefit my audience. These types of products can range from physical items to software services.
Finding affiliate programs is easy. Many major companies have them to include Amazon, eBay, Walmart, and more. If there are products that you use for your niche, do a web search to find out if they offer an affiliate program.
The commissions vary depending on the program. You can find companies that will do up to a 75% commission. There are many affiliate programs that offer very generous commissions.
If you want to start a blog for money, I say go for it! It is a low-risk online business model that is also very inexpensive to get started. Best of all, your earning potential is unlimited.
There are many 5 and 6-figure bloggers out there. Remember, that it is all based on your own hard work and commitment. To recap:
- Avoid free blogging services
- Use WordPress for your blog (it’s free and well supported)
- Consider an Optimized WordPress hosting plan here – (beginner friendly with a free domain registration and auto-installed WordPress)
- Help people with your content
- Write often
- Be patient and don’t quit