Are you hesitant about starting a blog to earn income online? Many people are for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest being the work involved. Yes, you must create content on a regular basis and often times, people are not excited about that.
Yet, blogging has remained one of the best ways to earn income whether it is through affiliate marketing, display ads, or promoting your own products and services. When I changed my mindset about making money online, I chose to do so by blogging.
I’ll explain what you can expect as a blogger and what it takes to actually create a consistent income online. Blogging is a good way to make money online if you are willing to do the work required.
A Blog’s Earning Potential
I have been earning a consistent income through blogging for over a year now. It did not happen overnight. In fact, it took me a good year of hard work before I began earning anything.
I’ve come across bloggers that earn 4-figures per month and those that earn 6-figures per month. The range is great and the earning potential is there. Many bloggers are fine with earning 4-figures each month as they are their own boss.
They also know that the earning potential with a blog is unlimited. It is based on your own efforts and monetization strategies.
The Benefits of Blogging
One of the reasons I chose blogging as my online business is because it is low-cost and convenient. When you don’t have a huge budget for advertising, blogging is the next best thing.
You can start a blog for under $100. A domain name costs about $12 per year and web hosting averages around $70 per year.
I was also working a full-time job when I got started. Blogging is convenient as you can work on your blog on your free time.
I worked on my blog before and after my shifts as well as on the weekends. With consistent effort, I was able to transition out of my full-time job to working for myself.
Blogging is a Good Way to Make Money BUT…
Here are some facts about blogging that usually deters most people. However, for someone like you, that understands the earning potential of maintaining a blog, these facts won’t deter you.
For someone who is determined, these facts will motivate you and push you to keep going even when it feels like you’re not making any progress.
Fact #1: You May Not Earn a Dime for Months
- It’s true. Blogging is not the fastest method of earning income online. It will likely take many months before you make your first sale of anything. However, that first sale is significant because it will prove to you that you can earn income online. So while it is a slow process, if you stick with it, that first sale will only be the first of many more to come.
Fact #2: Most People Quit After Two or Three Months
- I’ve even done this myself on many occasions. I’ve started a blog and was super excited for the first month or two. I posted content on a regular basis and then my excitement fizzled out. This is the case for many people. The reason is usually due to frustration over a lack of sales. This is is why fact #3 is important.
Fact #3: Blogging for Income Requires Patience
- You have to remember that blogging for income is for the long-term. If you keep this in mind and work through the frustrating periods, your blog has a very high chance of being successful. I had to change my mindset when I took blogging seriously. I made up my mind that I would not give up on my blog. That determination made all the difference.
Ways to Make Money with a Blog
You can make money with a blog in a variety of ways. The most popular include promoting affiliate products and/or services, display ads, and selling your own products and/or services.
My preferred method of blog monetization is affiliate marketing. There are so many reasons why I enjoy affiliate marketing:
- You don’t need your own products
- There are millions of affiliate products to promote
- There is no shipping and handling to deal with
- You do not deal with customer service
- Unlimited earning potential
How to Start Your First Profitable Blog
Starting your first blog is extremely easy. I don’t recommend using free blogging services. You want to have full control of your blog. Free blogging services have the ability to close your account at any time for any reason.
Therefore, invest in registering your own domain name and getting your own web hosting. Most web hosting providers enable you to register your domain name and set up hosting all in one place.
Most web hosting providers also have one-click WordPress installation. That means you can get everything done in one place. Dreamhost offers one year free domain registration on their annual shared plan.
Choosing Your Niche
Having a niche makes it easier to promote specific affiliate products. Focusing on a specific niche can also be fun since you will likely be the only one creating content.
Therefore if you have an interest in the topic that you choose, you’ll create great content and will be able to recommend relevant affiliate products and services.
You can choose any niche that you want. However, it helps if the niche that you choose isn’t too broad and isn’t too small. Some basic niche ideas include:
- Weight loss for women over 40
- Reducing credit card debt
- Improving photography techniques
Think of a niche as a group of people talking about the same thing. Niche blogs do well earning income online because the content that you create attracts a targeted audience.
Therefore, it makes it easier to recommend related products and increase the chance of making sales.
Creating Content On a Regular Basis
The key to a successful blog is the content that you create. Focus your content on helping the people in your niche. This starts by doing keyword research.
I use Google’s autocomplete feature to find out what people are searching for in my niche:
I then use a paid keyword tool to get an estimate of the monthly searches and competition for specific keyword phrases.
The next step is to create content for the keyword phrases you’ve found. My goal is to post new content 2 to 3 times per week. It doesn’t always work out that way but it is good to have a plan and stick to it.
If you are on the fence about starting a blog to make money online, I hope this post has helped you to realize the benefits of doing so.
It does take time, persistence, and patience. However, if you don’t give up, the payoff is worth it. If you want to get a jump start on creating a profitable blog, consider investing in your internet marketing education with this niche affiliate website training course.