I admit that I take foodie pics to post on my Instagram account. Maybe you do as well and now you want to take your passion for food a step further and create a food blog.
A food blog is one of the most fun niches that you can get into. Everyone loves to eat and there are tons of people interested in cooking, eating, restaurant reviews, and more.
You are in the right place as I know plenty about how to create a blog. Not only that, I can also share with you how to blog about food and create income from doing so.
How to Start a Food Blog and Make Money
The first thing you will want to do is choose a niche within food blogging. You can keep it general if you want or you can blog on a sub-niche within the food world.
For example, if you only want to review the restaurants that you visit, it can be a restaurant review blog.
Here are some other food niches that are coming to mind as I type:
- Home Chef – I can greatly relate to this niche as my sister is a home chef that has experienced so much success. It all started from her own food blog. She was able to land a spot as a guest chef on the NBC show, Food Fighters and she even won a nice chunk of prize money.
My sister Holly on Food Fighters:
- Paleo, Keto, Nutrition, Etc. – Do you follow a healthy eating lifestyle or diet? There are plenty of others that do as well and you can build a large following focusing on one of these niches.
- Junk Food – You can also go to the opposite route of healthy food and blog about all of your favorite junk food. Don’t think there is an audience? Think again. There are junk food Instagram accounts with thousands of followers.
- Food Prep – Although this does fall under health & nutrition as mentioned above, it is an extremely popular topic. If you have any interest or are a meal prepper already, you won’t have any issues building an audience.
- Quick Meal Ideas – One thing that people are short on is time and if you can provide some helpful meal ideas, you’ll create a grateful fan base with this topic.
Step 1: Register Your Domain Name
Before you get started with your blog, you’ll need to register your own domain name. It is a very easy process and depending on which web hosting service you use, you could get your first one for free.
Step 2: Secure Web Hosting
The next thing you will need for your food blog is a good web hosting provider. I have used various ones over the years and have not had any major issues.
However, I switched my hosting over to SiteGround.com and it is one of the best decisions I’ve made in terms of web hosting providers.
My biggest pet-peeve with most hosting providers I’ve used is the customer support. It would often take hours before I received a reply and sometimes, the customer service representative couldn’t figure out my issue.
It was frustrating and so I sought out another service. SiteGround received glowing reviews from most bloggers that I researched so I gave it a try.
Their customer support is phenomenal! I always contact support via live chat and someone comes online within a few minutes.
Here is my latest screen capture of using live chat for an ionCube loader install request that I had:
My request was resolved in seconds and that is how it has been each time I have had to request anything. SiteGround’s customer service is the best in the industry.
Step 3: Set Up Your Nameservers
This isn’t as hard as it sounds. Updating your nameservers is how you connect your domain name to your web hosting provider.
When you obtain web hosting, the hosting company will provide with your nameserver information.
If you are using SiteGround and NameCheap, you could follow these directions.
Here is a YouTube video tutorial that explains it as well:
Step 4: Install WordPress with One-Click Install
Finally, you’ll need to install WordPress. Don’t worry, you will not need to have any prior experience in order to do this.
Almost all web hosting providers provide one-click WordPress installation and if you are stuck, you can contact customer support for help.
You can find one-click software installation inside of your web host admin panel. Some web hosting providers use CPanel.
This video tutorial demonstrates how to use SiteGround’s one-click WordPress installation:
That is all you need to get your blog up and running. To recap:
- Register your domain name (NameCheap.com)
- Get your web hosting (I recommend SiteGround)
- Update your nameservers (connects domain to your web host)
- Install WordPress using one-click install (most web hosts offer this)
How to Write a Food Blog Post
Alright, now that we have all of the technical stuff out of the way, we can get into the fun part which is actually creating content for your blog.
The best part about blogging (in my opinion) is being able to write in a casual manner. You don’t have to be a professional writer.
Blogs are great for showcasing people’s personality. You can write as if you are explaining your topic to a good friend.
That makes it easy for anyone visiting your blog to understand your posts. Usually, many people are enthusiastic about writing blog posts.
However, regardless of how much you enjoy your blog’s niche, you will experience writer’s block at some point.
I’ll share with you how I create unlimited amounts of blog topics so that I always have topics that I can write about.
How to Generate Unlimited Food Blog Post Ideas
When it comes to generating unlimited topic ideas for my blog, I use two keyword tools (both of which are free.)
The first one I use is Google’s search and the autocomplete feature:
Google tells you what people are typing in. All you do is begin typing in some keywords related to your topic and you will get other keyword phrases that visitors are searching for.
The second keyword tool that I use is called Answer The Public. This tool will provide questions that people are searching for related to your keyword
Here is a YouTube video tutorial I made demonstrating how I use these two free keyword tools for generating unlimited blog post ideas:
Food Blogging Tips
As far as blogging itself goes, here are some tips to that you can apply to each blog post that you write.
- Use Keywords in Your Blog Post Title – You want to have the best chance that each post you write will rank highly in the search results. That begins by placing your keywords in your titles.
- Write Naturally – You can become overwhelmed with all sorts of blogging tips on the internet. The one thing I always remember is that Google wants to provide the best content for their searchers. That being said, don’t fuss too much about keyword density in your posts. Write with the intent of providing the best quality information you can for your readers.
- Be Consistent – There are no rules stating that you have to blog every single day (unless you want to.) However, you should stay consistent. I try to write 2 to 3 times per week minimum.
- Use Images – This is especially important when running a food blog. Take pictures of your meals and share them in your posts. Here is a ramen house review I wrote in which I posted photos of our meal.
How to Earn Income with Your Food Blog
This is my favorite part of blogging. It is an amazing feeling to earn income from your efforts.
Not only do you get to write about a topic that you enjoy, you get to help your readers with cool information, as well as earn income by sharing products and services that you recommend.
My favorite and highly recommended way to earn revenue with a blog is through affiliate marketing.
Affiliate marketing is the process of promoting another company’s products and/or services in exchange for a commission when a sale is made.
Since you will be blogging about food, one of the most popular affiliate programs that you can join is Amazon Associates.
Why Amazon’s affiliate program? For one, it is a trusted web site.
Another reason is that Amazon carries millions of products and tons that are food related. Once you apply to their affiliate program and are accepted, you can place your affiliate links in your content.
How I Got Started Earning Income with Blogs
I’ve been blogging off and on for years. It wasn’t until a job layoff that I decided I wanted to create an online business by blogging.
While I had the blogging part down, I didn’t know how to generate income with affiliate marketing.
I searched for an online course and found one that I really liked. I studied the training and worked consistently.
Thanks to the training and my hard work, I was able to quit a physically demanding retail job and transition into working for myself full-time.
If you want to get a better idea of how it works, subscribe to my free online course.
Quick Blog Promotion Tips
One thing to keep in mind is that getting traffic to your blog takes time. What I recommend is to create a YouTube channel and link your blog posts in the descriptions.
If you are hesitant to start a channel, I understand. It took me a long time to get up the nerve to create one.
I worried about what I would create videos on as well as having to be in them. However, I am hardly ever on camera.
Most of my videos are screencasts because I am teaching something. You can do the same if you are not comfortable being in front of the camera.
The screencasting software I use is Screencast-O-Matic. It is inexpensive and has a ton of editing features.
You can also utilize other social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to help get initial traffic to your blog.
YouTube has really made a difference so if you are up to it, start creating videos.
Starting any type of blog is a new and exciting online journey. A food blog is probably one of the most fun blogs that you can create.
I hope that this post has been of help in terms of getting started. I wish you much success!