Last updated on October 15th, 2018 at 04:10 pm
If you enjoy writing then Kindle publishing and affiliate marketing are both great online business models to begin earning income online. In this post, I will share my own personal experience with each as well as the pros and cons.
I created a Kindle ebook a couple of years ago for fun and as a way to learn the process of self-publishing Kindle ebooks.
I’ve also been an affiliate marketer off and on for years and am now a full-time affiliate marketer using niche blogs to refer products.
That being said, I can share what the differences are between Kindle publishing vs affiliate marketing.
First Things First – Both Options Require Steady and Consistent Effort
In other words, regardless of which online business model you are interested in, both will require hard work.
If you are looking for a quick way or shortcut to online success, you won’t find that here. However, if you are willing to put in the work and have fun in the process, success is within your reach.
It truly begins with your mindset. When I set out to fulfill my dream of working for myself full-time, I knew that it would require discipline and consistent effort.
I made up my mind to work for as long as it took until I reached my goal. Many people want to earn income online but aren’t willing to focus and put in the work.
No matter which online business model that you choose, you have to be willing to learn the skills, put what you learn into practice, and stay consistent.
I can’t stress the importance of having the proper mindset before you begin. It wasn’t until I understood this that I finally found success.
Is Kindle Publishing Worth It?
I think anything is worth it if you are willing to do what it takes. Kindle publishing can work for you so long as you learn what is required and follow through.
What is Kindle Publishing?
It is the process of writing your own books and selling them as ebooks on the Amazon Kindle platform. Kindle publishing enables anyone to self-publish their own books.
The Kindle Direct Publishing platform is simple and straightforward to use.
In all honesty, I believe the most challenging part of Kindle publishing is learning how to properly promote your books.
I highly recommend finding a reputable Kindle publishing course to learn not only how to create and publish your first Kindle ebook but also how to market it.
The Pros of Self-Publishing on Amazon
Low Barrier to Entry
- It is easy for anyone to get started and it is also low-cost and low-risk. More than anything it requires your time but once you have your book(s) written, it is a matter of ongoing promotion.
You Begin Earning Income Relatively Quickly
- This isn’t to say that you will be earning a fortune overnight and can quit your 9-to-5. However, the potential to make sales within a matter of weeks is quite high.
You Can Start Part-Time
- You can create ebooks while continuing to work a full-time job. It is a great side business that you can develop into a full-time business.
Self-Publishing Can Provide a Reliable Income
- Once you master the process, self-publishing has the potential to create a steady and reliable income month after month.
The Cons of Kindle Self-Publishing
Many Niches are Very Competitive
- Depending on the niche you want to write your books in, chances are it will be saturated making it challenging to get your books noticed.
You Do Not Have 100% Control of Your Business
- If you want to promote and sell your ebooks on Amazon, you must abide by their rules. That means if they make changes, it can affect your business.
It Can Be Challenging to Manage Your Books
- As you create more and more Kindle books, it will become more difficult to manage them all. Some of your books may lose ranking and drop in sales.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
I admit, I am a bit more biased towards affiliate marketing but it is only because I have more experience with it.
Affiliate marketing is simply the process of referring products and/or services to others. When someone makes a purchase based on your referral, you earn a percentage of the sale (a commission.)
There are various ways in which you can earn income with affiliate marketing. However, the method I choose is creating niche websites.
The Pros of Affiliate Marketing
The list of pros below is exactly why I chose affiliate marketing as my method of earning income online:
- You do not need your own products
- Low-cost to get started
- No customers or clients to deal with
- No shipping, handling, or refunds
- No customer service to deal with
- Unlimited earning potential
The Cons of Affiliate Marketing
As much as I enjoy being an affiliate marketer, there are some cons to be aware of:
The Learning Curve
- It isn’t overly difficult to learn about affiliate marketing but there are so many ways to get started, it can feel overwhelming. I recommend choosing a method that interests you most and sticking with it until you achieve success.
It Can Be Slow Going
- Building your online business is a slow process, particularly if you will be relying on SEO (search engine optimization) with niche blogging. It will require a lot of patience as you may not make your first sale for months. However, if you are patient and understand that it is a process, the payoff is well worth it in the long run.
Shiny Object Syndrome Can Cost You
- Many new affiliate marketers will have their run-in with shiny object syndrome. Meaning, they will come across various internet marketing products and will become distracted. That distraction can cost you money (buying different products) and time. That is why I recommend sticking to one method and mastering it until you achieve success.
Which Method is the Best One to Start with First? – Kindle Publishing or Affiliate Marketing?
This comes down to a matter of personal preference. If you find it exciting to have your books published and up for sale on the Amazon website, Kindle publishing is ideal.
If you prefer maintaining a niche blog and enjoy writing content on a more regular basis (as well as earning affiliate sales), then affiliate marketing is your go-to method.
Personally, blogging attracted me the most because I have been blogging off and on for years. I like creating content around topics that interest me and that I know may help others.
I was also aware of the earning potential of blogs. I still have a strong interest in self-publishing ebooks as well.
However, I also understand that the big hurdle in making money with Kindle ebooks is learning how to market them.
The best thing that you can do is choose the method that interests you the most and simply begin. Both business models require action.
Learn the skills and put them into practice a little bit at a time each day. Before you know it, you will have accomplished a ton and learned even more.
If Kindle publishing interests you, check out Stefan James’ K Money Mastery course. He runs a popular website titled Project Life Mastery and runs a popular YouTube channel with the same name. James achieved online business success with Kindle publishing, Amazon FBA, and more.
If you want to learn affiliate marketing, consider investing in a step-by-step affiliate marketing course that includes comprehensive training and full support.
Get Your Free Gift!
Get your FREE copy of my Super Simple Guide for Earning a Consistent Income Online. For 2019 and beyond!
Completing this form automatically subscribes you to my email list and you will receive occasional email updates from me. Your privacy is always my top priority.